Persistence, determination, talent and an abundance of faith are words that come to mind when I think of Justin Davis. A big man with a big heart, Davis is one of Pickens’ great success stories.
Justin Davis is one of Picken’s great success stories.
Davis spent his early years in Tate, moving to Jasper while still in school.
He began piano lessons when he was in sixth grade. He recalls that Bay Cagle was his first teacher. He joined a youth choir and a band. During his high school days, he played strings, piano and percussion while developing a beautiful tenor singing voice. Continue reading
For the love of arts and culture
PACA Annual Meeting
Join your neighbors at the Pickens Arts and Cultural Alliance Annual Meeting on March 5th to hear from many different voices in the community. Art, music, theater, literature, history, natural history, culinary, dance, fiber arts, photography, pottery, and more – PACA loves it all. Learn what local individuals and organizations did in 2014, and what is in the works for 2015.
For the sake of time, in-meeting reports will be from 5 pre-selected representatives, each of different aspects of art and culture. However, video reporting will be available for anyone wishing to report on their group or activity. The video will be edited and placed online at www.PACAGeorgia.org
and YouTube after the meeting..
PACA will also present to the membership the Board of Directors nominees. You do not have to be a member to attend and participate in the PACA Annual Meeting. However, if you would like to participate in the vote and are not already a member, memberships will be available 5:00-5:30PM and are only $5 annually.
The Thursday, March 5th meeting will start at 5:00PM with refreshments and social time. At 5:30PM, the meeting will be called to order and then end promptly at 6:30PM. Held in the Pickens Room inside the Pickens County Government Building, it is located at 1266 East Church Street in Jasper. You may enter from the lower level on the outside or through the front door and down the elevator (signs will be posted to guide you). (Note this is the postponement date from February 26th due to weather).
Join your neighbors at the Pickens Arts and Cultural Alliance Annual Meeting on February 26th to hear from many different voices in the community. Art, music, theater, literature, history, natural history, culinary, dance, fiber arts, photography, pottery, and more – PACA loves it all. Learn what local individuals and organizations did in 2014, and what is in the works for 2015.
Socializing starts at 5 p.m. with refreshments. Please come – and invite all your friends – membership in PACA is not required. The meeting will start promptly at 5:30 p.m. and end at 6:30 p.m.
The Sassafras Literary Exchange will will meet at 6PM on January 12 at Tater Patch Players theater. This is a temporary location change for the month of January only. SLE will meet at the normal location, Sharptop Arts Association, in February.
Come join the Jasper Rhythm and Flute circle from 6:00 to 7:00 Tuesday, December 9th, at the Sharptop Arts Center. As usual, instruments will be provided, kids are welcome, and there is no charge!
Holly, Jolly Good Arts and Culture
This December will host holly and jolly good times in Jasper and all of Pickens County as we celebrate the Season, the change of seasons, and conclusion of 2014!
- During December visit the Pickens County Library to enjoy the many beautiful and unique trees decorated by local businesses and organizations that will be on display. While you are there, take your left over holiday cards and participate in a holiday card exchange – for each one you leave take a new one. For more information please contact the Pickens County Library at 706-692-5411.
- Dec 6 The 8th Annual Night of Lights sponsored by the Jasper Merchants Association. The theme is ‘Old Fashioned Jasper Christmas’. The celebration will include Parade of Lights making its way from North to South Main. Other events include: A visit and sit down with Santa Claus, local choirs, marketplace of food and craft vendors, a special Lighting of the Tree ceremony and more. Starts at 3pm, Lighting of Christmas Tree 5:45 pm. Parade at 6pm
- Dec 11-12th 8th Annual Live Nativity & Festival of Lights at Wildwood Christian Academy. Drive through the campus and enjoy Wildwood’s Christmas Gift to the Community featuring Live Nativity, Festival of Lights, enchanting Christmas trees, Santa’s Village, Carolers and much more. Donations will support Sheriff’s Foundation of Pickens County 6-8pm
- Dec 6 Big Canoe inaugural Winter Ball at the Clubhouse at Lake Sconti. Limited to 170 people and reservations are required. Cost $65 per person. Contact Becca Weck to reserve your spot or for additional information,firstname.lastname@example.org. 6pm
- Dec 31 Party Local! New Year’s Eve Downtown Jasper – DJ, Dancing, Photo Booth, Vendors, Fireworks & More! Bring in 2015 in Downtown Jasper, GA
- Dec 31 Rocco’s New Year’s Eve with Live Music by Roadhouse starts 8pm
‘A Celebration of Light’
Make plans to attend the performance by the youth of Creative and Performing Arts Academy for the holidays on December 13th at 3:00pm.
From Director, Lexi Klupchak:
“As the holidays approach this year it seems that humanity is shrouded in a dark spector of extreme illness, racism, poverty and war. That is why you should come join a really amazing group of kids from Jasper, GA on December 13th at 3PM. Over the course of just a few classes these kids have discussed the state of the world and created a show that reminds us to look for the pockets of Light that still exist and that connect us all, across the world. To bring some light, laughter and warmth into your holiday season, please come join these remarkable kids for their show: Celebrations of Light.”
‘A Celebration of Light’ by the Creative and Performing Arts Academy, will be held at Tater Patch Players Theater. Admission is donations at the door to Creative and Performing Arts Academy.
Late fall has the Appalachian Mountains and Georgia foothills shimmering with leaves full of rich color and that wonderful crisp air. Load up the car, choose those favorite tunes, and set the GPS. Join a select band of eclectic artists, art advocates, and local businesses and discover rambling and the creative spirit in all of us.
The North Georgia Art Ramble is a free, self-guided “Studio and Gallery Tour“. Visit individual working artist’s studios and local galleries on December 6 and 7, 2014.